Renewable Energy – Are we making progress?
The above question has been asked on Quora in many different ways. I follow the renewable energy industry closely and frequently contribute on Quora, just search for Ketan Deshpande MN Minnesota for the latest topics I have covered. I agree that Renewable Energy solutions have been around us for a while and most wonder if we are making any significant progress and the significance of the progress. This post curates the most important developments in the renewable energy industry along with top trends.
Oil & Gas Industry
One must first start with the Oil & Gas industry. Mankind has been using crude oil for thousands of years however its popularity grew in the 1800’s and 1900’s. Use of oil exploded in the 20th century as a result of global growth. In short the Oil & Gas industry has had a head start as far as scale and investments, and has supported the growth of today’s global economies.
Renewable Energy Industry
The renewable energy industry is barely a few hundred years old. Commercialization of the technologies began about a 100 years ago. The industry has grown at a rapid pace in the last few decades than any prior times.
IEA’s data shows that renewable energy sources will supply 28% of the total global energy demand by 2021. It has already surpassed coal in 2015 to become the largest source of global electricity capacity.
Reports states that over 2.5 wind turbines and 30,000 solar panels are being installed every hour.
We are making progress
I have listed just a few of the recent global mile stones here, a quick reveals how broad based initiatives are driving this industry and how deep and meaningful impacts it is having on mankind.
- Lego will achieve 100 percent renewable energy consumer status 3 year ahead of the plan, corporate sustainability initiatives are producing results. Unilever had deployed plans to achieve 100 percent renewable energy
- In a recent report by World Economic Forum states that solar has the brightest future …
- Renewable energy is partnering with Desalination technology to reduce operating costs which will also address Water Scarcity
- Researchers have developed technology that can double solar panels efficiency
- Researchers could improve solar panels efficiency by as much as 700 percent
- State of Minnesota will add 1,550 MW wind farm.
- Largest energy storage project in Minnesota, etc..
So next time someone asks you “If renewable energy making any progress” just tell them to look around and smell the air they are breathing. If they ask “what do you mean” then you can answer “you can’t even smell that we are making progress because it is clean energy”.